Monday, April 24, 2017

I am: AN AU PAIR! What do you mean, "perfect life"?

I am an au pair. I am staying with a host family and take care of two adorable kids. An au pair is a young adult from a foreign country who works in another country to work for a host family and becomes a part of the family's routine. You usually do childcare related tasks. As an au pair, you have to take a lot of responsibility. You are trusted with the most precious gift of a parental couple & you better not mess up. :D Au pairs have childcare experiences, mostly through babysitting, working in a childcare, etc.

Perfect life?
Recently, I was told by a blog reader I seemed to have a perfect life as an au pair. I looked at my blog & you could really assume everything is a picnic for me. I'm sorry for breaking the illusion, but it ain't. The articles that I uploaded so far are about experiencing new places and my travels. These, however, happen on the weekends or on my vacation, not everyday. I only posted about these big things because they are new to you and more exciting. Well, behind all these big things, there is work. In general, work can be pleasant and unpleasant. Au pairing is not easy peasy lemon squeezy (au pairs, are you with me? :P). When you read blogs, you might think that everyday consists of no worries, but only good vibes. You compare yourself to the bloggers and might want to be them or want a life like them. Nah, bruh, life ain't easy for everyone. I want to make you aware of the fact that bloggers are also humans. There are ups and downs for everybody, even celebrities, even though it doesn't seem that way. This is reality. We bloggers tend to publish the pleasant part of our lives. We leave the bad parts out 'cause they might be too private to publish. There is also the case that bloggers want to escape from the reality, which is understandable. At the end of the day, my dear blog readers, you need to realize that also you have things in your life you can cherish, although you don't feel that way. You only need to focus on them, rather than the unpleasant ones. Then you have the peaceful life that you read in the "life seems to be perfect" blogs. xD I try not to let my blog appear as my life is so perfect like that. I am also a human being with flaws & I am totally honest with that and proud of that. It makes me me.

As a matter of fact, I am doing excellent. Not excellent in the manner of "My life is absolutely perfect because I do travels everyday", but "I'm excellent because my gratitude is so grand for the things in my life that make me happy. Even though I have my downs, too, I am grateful for each moment I can learn from. At the end, I will be a much more stronger person. I know that I am a persistent and purposeful human being." ➳

8 comments:

  1. I can totally relate to this! I'm an events coordinator and travel all over the US a couple times a month. I'm constantly told how lucky I am and that I'm "living the life." Not even close. While I love to travel and it makes me happy to have the opportunity to do so, it's not all fun and games like my social media may show..

    I'm so happy you posted this though! Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah!
      I agree with your words! I imagine being an events coordinator has its grand conveniences aswell. But sure is that there is work behind it that still causes stress, isn't it? I can totally feel you.

      Thank you for your lovely comment, it means so much to me!

      Delete
  2. Thank you! 🙏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Selena!
      I'm glad I expressed what you feel. :-)

      Delete
  3. A lot of people think that Au pair life is just travel and fun, when I post pictures of my trips some people are like, " Don't you do anything besides travel?" or "I want a life like that just having fun" and answer them saying that o work a lot of more than I travel, but it is still great that I have the opportunity to travel, but it is far from perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ingrid,
      That's so true! The great opportunity to travel is the reward - the reward that we get from the work that gives us down-moments sometimes. That is why I wrote this article to let the non-au pairs know that it's not a 100% pleasure as it seems like.

      Thank you so much, dear Ingrid, for leaving your comment! I'm sure other au pair readers, who read your comment, can relate to it. :-)

      Delete
  4. That's so true! Even my own family sometimes think that being an Au Pair is all fun and games but in reality it's a job which can be amazing but also very exhausting. Some days you just want to cry in your bed (and maybe be with your mum 😁) and on others you are absolutely happy about your "new life" and don't ever want to go home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to the club. :D I totally agree! It was the same with me. Everyone thought I had that special travel, adventurous life everyday, but behind that, it was a hella work :'D Oh, I feel you! In my case, at the end, I cried in my bed, wanted to go anywhere else, no matter where, rather than staying with my hostmom in a same house. #noshade :)

      Delete